At PCCC, we have several purposes in using them as part of our Writing Initiative. We expect them to help show student achievement as a writer and critical thinker in the writing intensive courses.
The members of the Initiative team will also use the portfolios as a way to assess program effectiveness.
We also expect that students will do their own self-assessment through the reflective writing that we ask instructors to include in their WI classes.
Some of goals in piloting ePortfolios at PCCC are:
- making these learning portfolios
- having a repository of writing samples for assessment of the grant objectives
- being able to set benchmarks for the future
- providing continuity for students taking multiple writing-intensive courses
- making the process "product-neutral"
- help provide institutional and program assessment for Middle States and other programs
- interface with assessment software
- examne and recommend portfolio products
- consider implications for the future including the expressive, transfer and career portfolio uses
eFolio is an e-portfolio product being piloted by students enrolled in Writing Intensive courses at PCCC. eFolio users can share academic and personal information with professors and peers.
We will be posting additional information about the pilot here and on our Portfolios LibGuide.