|Professors Griedanus and Risher bonding during the June Institute.|
They are preparing Biology II and Public Speaking respectively
as WI offerings for this fall.
The Writing Initiative team held its seventh Faculty Institute this month for instructors preparing courses as Writing Intensive for fall 2010.
This four-day Institute was held June 1-4, 2010.
The topics addressed during the 4 days of seminar-style sessions included:
- The Course Development Handbook
- Defining a Writing-Intensive Course
- Faculty Professional Development
- Goals: Initiative goals and alignment with discipline-specific goals
- Requirements of a WI Course
- WI Courses Syllabi
- Formal and informal writing
- Creating formal writing assignments
- Responding to student writing
- The Writing Center and Support for Students and Faculty
- Creating LibGuides and using media
- Critical thinking through writing – assignment creation and rubric use
- Information literacy – creating assignments, rubric and template
- Assessment of WI Courses and the Writing Initiative
- Portfolios – structuring student use, tech support, use by the instructor, student reflections, and Initiative assessment
- The PCCC Task Force