This week, August 24 and 25, the Writing Initiative is holding a training institute for faculty taking over new sections of a developed Writing Intensive Course.
This Institute is designed to introduce faculty to the Initiative and WI course requirements, support services for both faculty and students, and handing over of materials previously developed by the original faculty member to teach the course. Developing new materials and tools and resources are also covered.
Participants are asked to bring a copy of the course textbook and any syllabus and writing assignments they already use in their version of the course.
- Writing Initiative goals and requirements
- Formal and informal writing
- Creating new WI assignments - examples & using templates
- Student portfolios: objectives, hands-on use of the eFolio product, sample student portfolios, grading strategies
- Critical thinking assignments – template, rubrics
- Information literacy assignments – template, rubrics
- Responding to and grading student writing - for content vs. for writing
- Using the Writing Center and online resources for online & face-to-face course sections
- Hands-on session using LibGuides as an editor and adding links, resources, media objects etc.