This is a collaborative seminar-style event where we will be discussing overall Initiative goals, sharing existing WI materials and best practices, creating new assignments and materials and looking at the pedagogy, tools and resources available for writing intensive courses.
Following the Writing Initiative Handbook, our topics of discussion include:
- Writing Initiative goals and requirements
- Formal and informal writing
- A review of existing course materials (syllabus and assignment samples) both for regular sections and for any existing WI sections.
- Creating new WI assignments - examples & using templates
- Student portfolios: objectives, hands-on use of the eFolio product, sample student portfolios, grading strategies
- Critical thinking assignments – template, rubrics
- Information literacy assignments – template, rubrics
- Responding to and grading student writing - for content and for writing
- Using the Writing Center
- Using eTutoring
- Online resources for online & face-to-face course sections
- Initiative assessment of WI Courses
- Hands-on session using LibGuides as an editor and adding links, resources, media objects etc.