While part 1 focused on developing materials, this institute will focus on reviewing those materials (syllabi, assignments etc.) that have been developed by participants since last summer. In a seminar setting, we will discuss both the plans and methods for implementing them in the classroom during the pilot semester.
We will meet Tuesday and Wednesday from 9 - 3 pm in the Writing Center.
Our agenda includes these areas of discussion:
- Institute Part One Recap
- Review of your WI syllabi
- Incorporating critical thinking into writing assignments and using the CT rubric (Ken Ronkowitz)
- Incorporating information literacy into writing assignments and using the IL rubric (Ken Karol)
- Creating your WI course LibGuide and adding content including media resources (hands-on session)
- Formal and informal writing defined
- Review of your formal writing assignments
- Strategies for grading writing as writing (and for content) and grading policies
- Using the student e-portfolios - technical information, implementation and evaluation (Anita Kumar)
- WI Course evaluation: reviewing progress during the semester with the team, and by the Task Force
We require participants to bring along the materials from the first summer session (handbook etc.) and all materials for their new WI section – especially the revised syllabus, writing assignments, textbook and any media titles being used.